Clients, customers, and even colleagues may each be hiding something from you. Learn how to be more effective in asking questions and evaluating responses so you can better detect lies and uncover the truth.
Advanced Interview Techniques for Investigating Fraud and Abuse
|Small-class format: 20 participant limit|
Once the right people have learned how to find evidence of fraud, train them to investigate and interview.
Even good employees sometimes do bad things. If your organization encounters an instance of employee abuse or fraud such as misuse of company resources, theft of assets, fraudulent disbursement, or other issues, investigation of the incident will require interviewing and interrogating employees. Such interviews require special preparation, documentation, and interviewing skills in order to resolve cases of internal fraud or abuse.
What are people hiding from you? Clients, customers and even colleagues may each be hiding something from you. Learn how to be more effective in asking questions and evaluating responses so you can better detect lies and uncover the truth. By enhancing your interview techniques, you will get more information, more insight and less deception from everyone you interview. Even experienced professionals will improve their interviewing skills with this renowned course.
This two-day workshop will give you the knowledge and skills you need to effectively interview and interrogate witnesses, conspirators, and perpetrators potentially involved with incidents of fraud or abuse. Set into a practical workshop format, important concepts are reinforced through your in-class analysis of real videotaped interviews from actual investigations of two cases of internal employee fraud. Concepts are further reinforced through 14 workshop case studies you will help solve in class along with other attendees.
- Duration: 2 days, 8:30 - 4:30
- CPE Credit: 16
- Materials included with live instructor-led training:
- Class manual (complete hardcopy of class presentation)
- Hardcopy policy templates
- Softcopy policy templates
- 14 days of unlimited access to online practice exams for exam #FC102
- 1 attempt for the online certification exam #FC102
- Current-year membership in the CIS Body of Certified Professionals
- Professional Certification: This session fulfills training requirements for certification exam #FC102 for professional certification:
- Certificate included with class: Upon course completion, we will provide you with an achievement certificate for 16 continuing professional education (CPE) credits that can be used to fulfill requirements for maintaining a variety of professional credentials for fraud examination, accounting, auditing, and information security.
- Recommended prerequisite training: None
- Morning refreshments and snack, lunch, afternoon refreshments
- Hotel and/or Travel: Not included
Recommended Attendance by Position
- Executive officers (CEO/CFO/COO...)
- Internal fraud investigators / examiners
- Financial auditors / examiners
- Operations auditors
- Systems auditors
- Human resource managers who would be involved in potential disciplinary action
- Purchasing management in charge of managing the tender process
- Payroll administrators who need to know more about how managers can commit payrol fraud
- Accounts payable/receivable administrators
- Finance department managers
- Sales managers
- Security managers
Know your boundaries: Legal considerations for investigating and interviewing employees
- Understand the science of communication
- Do you know your legal authority for conducting interviews?
- Can you use deception in interviews?
- How do you avoid breaching the employees’ rights under law?
- How do you avoid employee claims of breach of privacy, emotional distress, defamation, false imprisonment, or assault and battery?
- What about trade union protection?
Understand the science of communication
- What are communication facilitators and inhibitors?
- What is the employee really saying with word choice, tone, and syntax?
- What is the employee really saying with body language from the head, face, nose, mouth, eyes, arms, shoulders, elbows, hands, legs, feet, and posture?
- What is the employee really saying with anger, boredom, frustration, and body movements?
Learn how to prepare for the interview
- How do you properly establish the foundation for your investigation?
- How do you gather evidence and background information for the interview? Where do you get the information from?
- What is the best venue and physical environment for interviewing?
- How should you plan the interview for witnesses, conspirators, and perpetrators?
Learn how to conduct the interview
- What are 13 verbal clues of deception you need to recognize?
- What are 10 non-verbal clues of deception you need to recognize?
- What is the proper interviewing sequence and use of questioning? How do you open the interview, get good information, resolve contradictions or deceit, and close the interview?
- What is the best approach to obtaining an admission of guilt? How do you help the employee rationalize what he or she did and tell you what truly happened?
- Learn how to professionally conduct an interview in stages with the proper introduction and rapport establishment, information gathering, assesment questions, closing, and admission seeking.
Know how to report your findings
- How should your findings be presented to company insiders, attorneys, defendants & witnesses, the press, or juries?
- What is a good report structure for presenting your findings?
Professional Certification: This session fulfills training requirements for certification exam #FC102 for professional certification:
My guarantee to you.
Preparing for Certified Information Security's professional certification exam #FC102 is serious business.
This is where we can help you. If you first successfully complete:
- All prerequisite course training; and
- All FC102 online practice exams
Certified Information Security guarantees your success in passing CIS exam #FC102.
If you do not pass exam #FC102 on your first attempt after completion of your required course and practice exams, Certified Information Security will allow you to re-test at no additional charge until you successfully pass your certification exam.
Certified Information Security provides the training and credentialing you need to become recognized as an authority in information security governance and risk management. You choose the method of delivery: online through our secure website, or in-person at a publicly available course or privately at your facility. We take care of the rest – from administration, to record keeping, to providing certificates of completion and certification.
Online students have the additional convenience of taking courses whenever they want without the need to travel or disrupt their busy schedules. Our program allows users to start and stop without losing their place or data. Learning and certifying expertise has never been so easy!
How to get started - two alternatives
1. If your employer is paying for your training and certification, we recommend purchasing a complete Certified Fraud Control Manager/Professional certification package voucher that includes all required resources, including membership in the CIS Body of Certified Professionals, all required training programs, all recommended practice exams, and the required certification exam. This allows your employer to purchase and pay all of your necessary resources at once, while still giving you flexibility of when to use your training, practice exams, and certification exams later.
Average Verified Customer Review: 0 of 5
CFCM Purchase Credit Voucher
2. If you are paying yourself, you may just want to "pay-as-you-go" by purchasing your membership in the CIS Body of Certified Professionals, training, recommended practice exams, and the certification exams as you need them. Start by purchasing training, and then purchase practice exams when you are ready. After you complete your practice exams, you then purchase your certification exam.
A breakdown of the costs are as follows:
1. Required CIS Membership Application Fee & Membership Dues: $100.00 Learn more
2. Required Training
|Two Required Courses||Instructor-Led Option||On-line Option|
$299.95 Learn more
|- AND -|
|Advanced Interview techniques for Investigating Fraud and Abuse||
$199.95 Learn More
3. Optional Online Practice Exams for exams #FC101 and #FC102: $225.00 Learn more
4. Required Online Certification Exams #FC101 and #FC102: $200.00 Learn more